la Ketch

my life story

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I Voted For Hillary


There, I said it.


I don't know why I feel the need to confess. I guess it's just that most people I know and love (including my husband) have Obama Fever and I kind of have it but not enough to not have Hillary fever. It's weird too because usually I'm gonna go with the most idealistic choice. I registered myself Green and voted for Ralph Nader in the Bush/Gore election, a decision I obviously regretted DEEPLY when I saw how things panned out. Especially now that Gore has become all smart and cool. Oh Gore, why did I forsake thee? So I guess that may have something to do with it. I was so idealistic then and I got smacked in the face by the reality of that fucker George Bush and he EVIL, EVIL army of idiots.


Now don't get me wrong. Barack Obama. I would be so, so happy if he were our next president. I really would. I would also be really happy if Hillary were our next president and I actually wouldn't even want to kill myself if it were McCain because at least he has a heart and a brain. He's still a fucking Republican and he's for the war which is HORRIBLE but it would still be way better with him because at least he's about government and not about killing people in Jesus' name. So, whichever way the wind blows, the future is looking bright in my eyes. I am optomistic at any turn.


I think Obama is really really great. I love his message of hope. We need it. I was so conflicted going to the poll and right up until I walked in the booth I was 98% sure I was going to vote Obama. Then I saw her name.


Hillary Clinton for President.


Hillary Clinton for President, ohmygodhowcaninotvoteforher?


The thing is that I love her. I've always loved her from the first moment I saw her. I love that people thought she was a hard ass bitch and cold and calculated. I didn't care. It made me love her more. I don't love that she wears pink now and has comprimised so much but she's still really, really smart and really, really strong and I admire her a great deal.


Is it because we have the same name? Maybe? Probably has something to do with it but I don't think that's it entirely? She spells it differently!


I think it's mainly because I'm a feminist. I am also a humanist and I know that voting Obama would probably be the most humanistic choice but also I voted for her because I think she'd do a very good job. I think that she has the experience and the know how to get us out of the war in the best way possible (what that way is, I have no godforsaken idea). I think she has the experience and the know how to get us the best health care plan possible. And then of course there is Bill.


Papa Bill. I love him.


So there you have it. I voted for Hillary. I feel like i'm about 100 years old admiting it but I love her and there's nothing I can do to change that. I know she's not perfect. I know the Clintons have done some dirty things. I know she let Bill make a fool of her with the stupid fucking Lewinsky thing. I know that she has made some major mistakes. But she still stands. She stands strong. She marches on and works hard to get the job done. She has worked really really hard for New York, for this country and yes, for herself.


If I had my number one wish come true it would be for Hillary to win the nomination and for Obama to run with her as VP. I think it would be the most genius of genius plans ever imagined. COME ON DO IT!


Ok. There you go. I voted for her and I'm glad I did. I just couldn't turn my back on her now.


Let the mud slinging begin you crazed Obama fan friends of mine. I'm sure my crotchedy ass deserves it.

PS. A lot of people think she can't win because so many people hate her but I think even more people than that hated bush when he ran and he won so I think she can win. Yes, I know Bush fucking cheated but I still think she can win without cheating.


5 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Blogger YogaLia said...

This post made me think one million things. Here are a few:

1. I voted for Nader in that election, too. And you know what, yeah, I regret what happened, definitely, but I am not at all down with the whole "people who voted for Nader made Al Gore lose". That's just not true. Al Gore didn't have the oomph to win over my 20 year old heart at the time, and Nader did. That was Gore's failing, not Nader's. (Or mine). AND, I'm GLAD AL Gore didn't win that election, because if he HAD, he wouldn't have made An Inconvenient Truth and he would have been saddled with 9/11 and Katrina and the war (if there was one) and the conservatives would blame all of it on the liberals and we'd all be looking at electing a super right-wing nut job right now and nobody would care about global warming and maybe all of humanity would be extinct by now! So yay Nader! And good job all of us who voted for him! We saved the world!

2. Dude, I almost voted for Hilary. Seriously. Did you read my post about it? I decided ON THE WAY to the polls. No, I decided IN THE BOOTH. Seriously, and I had the exact same experience of looking at the names, but unfortunately, mine swung the other way, but Hil, you are not alone because;

3. I love Hilary, too. I think she's pretty bad-ass and she's got an awesome sense of humor and I think that she scares a lot of men in this country (I know that's not cool to say, but I believe it) and I too would be more than happy, pretty delighted actually, if she got the nomination. Also because,

4. I love Bill Clinton. He was the first President I ever cared about/was conscious for, and I can still remember celebrating with my parents in my living room when he got elected the first time. (I was 12).

5. I also don't think McCain is that bad a guy. I'm pretty upset that he's an anti-abortion dude. That makes me livid, actually, the idea that anyone in this country thinks that banning abortion is actually a good idea. But, I'm hopeful that he's, as the conservatives say, a more liberal-minded guy than he appears.

So, all this to say, I support you, and your Hilary-loving ways.

Maybe if she gets elected, you and I can put together a politically-themed "I Love the Hilary" video. Heh!

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger OneKate said...

Thanks for voting for Hillary and thanks for admitting it. I've been feeling pretty alone here with my lowly Hillary vote in Astoria. My husband, entire family and basically everyone I know gave their vote to Obama. And not just gave their vote, but gave it heartily, robustly and with conviction. I felt conflicted. I even tested the little lever in the booth for Kucinich to see if it would actually turn, but still, when I saw her there, I could not give my vote to anyone else. She's been a champion for health care since 1993, she's brilliant, poised, a staunch defender of our fair state and most important...viable. Thanks for giving me a forum for my tiny two cents. So glad to feel among other supporters like me.

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Tina Rowley said...

Good for you, honey. I mean it. I have a lot of admiration for Hillary Clinton, concurrent with my doubts. She's good. I can't possibly fault you for your choice.

I sometimes wish that I'd bloomed into a Hillary supporter, for all those reasons you mention. But it just didn't happen. I'm glad it happened for you, though. I often wish she'd popped up for this another year, or that Obama had. Ah, well. I can live vicariously through your Hillary support!

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Scylla said...

I want Hillary too!!

She represents me. Frankly, I have a really hard time understanding on a gut level why more women in our nation don't feel as though an experienced politician with realistic and achievable policy plans, a 35 year history of political public service, and a wonderful platform is an acceptable candidate for them.

I could understand if she was a bad candidate, or even a lesser candidate, but she's not.

It's just that a 60 year old woman isn't as shiny as Obama.

I am proud to be for Hillary, and there is nothing to apologize for. She is a fantastic candidate AND she is a woman. The FIRST woman who has a chance at the presidency.

The FIRST time I have a chance at a leader who actually knows what it is like to be a woman, and what issues really face us.

Thank you for voting for her, you have helped amplify my voice, and the voices of others.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger l. said...

(me, too.)




-louella.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home