la Ketch

my life story

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Hogging the bed III - road block or possibly a brick wall


Monday night Davey fell asleep on his own, Deron and I were in the other room. I decided to put the side of the crib up and see what happened if I left him alone. He fussed for a while, cried a little bit and the found sleep. It took about 15 minutes. We were so proud of him.

Then, 20 min. later he woke up. I went to him, got him back to sleep. Then, 20 min later he woke up. I went to him, got him back to sleep. Then, 20 min later he woke up. I went to him, got him back asleep. Then, 20 min later he woke up. I could fill the page with these two sentences.

At 2:30am Dup had a break down. Why won't he sleep? I want to sleep. Why won't he go to sleep?

Me - um, because he's a baby?

Then I realized Dup was right. This wasn't normal. Something else was happening. His nose was all runny. His eyes were glossy and red. He's sick.

It took us one week to get to build him up to falling asleep on his own and about 5 minutes to tear it all down. I brought him into bed with me and nursed him to sleep. I did the same thing last night. We took him to the doctor. It's just a cold but the poor little darling is delirious from sleep deprivation. He just can't breathe well.

Our Doctor told us to wait until he gets better and then FURBERIZE HIM. This means put him in bed at 7:30pm, shut the door and don't go back into get him until the morning. You have to listen to him cry but you don't go to him under any circumstances. It takes 3 nights, each night he cries less.

Dup is ready to do it. I think I am but I'm very waffley. I don't know if I have the resolve. I know that sleeping more is going to help him. Right now we just need to wait until he's feeling 100%.

I'll keep you posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home