la Ketch

my life story

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Visit to scary land, everything fine.


Davey has been fighting a chest cold since X-mas and had just finally gotten through the night without coughing when he got hit with a bad stomach virus. He started throwing up on Thursday night and by Sunday he was still very sick and had become inconsolable. He wouldn't stop crying, was lethargic, wouldn't crack a smile. We brought him into the ER to see if he needed to be put on IV fluids and when they were giving him an IV he had a grand mal seizure on the table in the ER. Next thing you know, he's unconscious and being wheeled down for a cat scan (you can't go with him mom and dad) and I'm outside the ER screaming "WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON" while dup is crying on the curb.
Davey is home now. They did all the brain tests and have determined it was a one off thing caused by dehydration and trauma (being held down and stuck with a needle). We spent 2 days in the ICU with him hooked up to a monitor and an IV. He cried pretty much non-stop the whole time.
I don't know how the kids and parents of kids with serious illnesses cope, living in the hospital, getting poked, going under anaesthesia, chemo, etc. I was there 2 days and it was fucking HELL. The worst part was watching Davey's spirit break. There is a seriousness to him that I had not seen before but he's coming back to us slowly. He's smiling and walking and rediscovering his world. He is still sick, feeling crappy and tired but he's hydrated and fighting.
Thank god. Thank you thank you thank you.
Gratitude pours from my everything.
Thank you again.
More later.

6 Comments:

At 12:12 AM, Blogger pete. said...

Oh! I'm aching for you guys. So sorry you had to go through this. So glad that everything is fine.

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger Tina Rowley said...

Angel! I can't believe this happened! Oh, sweetheart, I'm so sorry. How unbelievably scary. I can only imagine how fucking terrible that will have been. I'm so glad he's on the mend. Hydrated and fighting and fucking awesome, is little Davey. I love you guys. I'm squeezing you all. Jesus.

 
At 1:42 AM, Blogger refuse supervisor said...

People tell me I'm brave because I had brain surgery but I tell you what - working in the welfare office I've seem some pretty fucked up shit. Whenever I'm feeling sorry for myself I try to stop and remember what life is like for someone caring for a sick child. I hope that my stepdaughters will never have to go through anything too horrible and I will add your beautiful son to my meditations and ask my brother to chant for him. My bro is a Buddhist and in his school they chant. It's way more moving than any Christian ceremony I've been too! Good luck, thoughts, whatever to you all :)

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger OneKate said...

Hi out there,
I've just caught myself up on several entries of your blog. I'm so incredibly sorry to hear about the scare. Aaron and I will be sending loads of good, healthy energy your way. Hope the little man gets stronger by the day. I'm happy to hear of your other exciting news and hope that joy and anticipation carry you all safely to the next happy place. Take care of each other! Kate

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Sheila said...

Holy fucking shit. I'm so sorry. Thank god he's okay. Jesus, Hils.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Ginger said...

What a nightmare! Holy fuckballs! I'm so sorry you all had to go through that- poor little lamb!!!
I'm glad that you are all recovering, and Davey is sweeter than ever. He is unbelievably cute.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home