la Ketch

my life story

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Happy Birthday Dup!


Yes it's Dup's B-day today. He's 33! You should check out his great post about how he handled his first solo baby meltdown over here.

What would I do without Dup? Let's not even think on it. I love that guy like there's no tomorrow but I'm glad there is a tomorrow so that we can hang out in it.

This is week two for me in mommy land. I had one really hard day last week but I'm starting to get the hang of it - when to get things done and when to just hang with the little guy and chill. It is, like so many things - all about time management. My new rule is that I need to get only four things done each day (besides taking care of the baby of course). Those things are: Eat, take a shower, make the bed, do the dishes. And I need to do them in that order. After all of these things are done then I can use the computer. After that, if I find extra time while he's sleeping then I can either A. take a nap or B. do an additional household chore. This system is working pretty well.

Because of the heat and Davey's sensitive skin, I haven't been going out at all. I usually take the dog for a walk or run an errand when Dup gets home, just so that I can leave. Today is unseasonably cool though and I'm going to go out with him on a short errand. Luckily there are all sorts of shops very close to us.

The main challenge in being home with the baby by myself has not been the actual baby. It's been our first born - Eliott the Beagle. Eliott the Beagle has an uncanny ability to sense just right when the baby is about to fall asleep and then he howls his fucking head off. I have almost killed him many times. The timing of his howling is not intentional. It's coincidence but all the same, it's been rough. We met with a dog trainer and she's shown us some stuff to do. Also she suggested that we put him on ant-anxiety medication. So we took him to the vet and now he's on Prozac. We can also give him Zanex if he's going up against a particularly stressful situation like a thunder storm or a visitor.

Can you believe it? I suggested to Dup that I take the Zanex and then maybe the howling won't bother me. Ultimately though, I think it's a good idea. He's suffered major trauma before we rescued him and he spends %50 of his existence totally stressed out and upset. If this can take the edge off of that for him and help him be more receptive to the positive training techniques, then I'm all for it. I hope it helps.

Ok, Davey is making noises, better go check him out. I gave him a bath this morning and since it was a little chillier than it had been I put some little booties on him and a cap and wrapped him in the snuggliest blanket ever. It's a miracle I didn't eat him because he smells like heaven on earth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home