la Ketch

my life story

Thursday, July 19, 2007

the refrigerator vs. the Saks Oracle




still pregnant! the official due date is just one week away - Thursday the 26th. It's so crazy waiting for something like this that could start at any minute or could be one or two weeks from now. Typically, first time moms give birth past their due date but not always. I've made some really good progress since my last examination 2 weeks ago when the baby was at a -3 station and my cervix was hard and long. On Tuesday she checked me and the baby is at a -1 station and my cervix is soft and thin and dilated to 1. Whoo hoo! only 9 more centimeters to go! I apologise to people who have no idea what i'm talking about here. The stations mean how far down the baby is in the birth canal. it goes from -4 to +4, zero being right in the middle, at the pelvic bone. So a -1 means that his head really far down there! yay Dup Jr.! I'm so proud of him. My midwife said that I am at a great place to start labor. Translation = could be any minute or could be a week or two. I'm kind of thinking he will come around the due date. I'm hoping but WHO KNOWS!! Still no regular contractions yet or anything.

Some of you have heard about my experience with the Saks Oracle. I don't think I've mentioned it here so to summarise - I met a sales person at Saks Fifth Avenue who approached me and told me he is a psychic and that I'm going to give birth to a boy on August 2nd. Of course I was disappointed that he was predicting it so far past my due date but it's a likely date for sure. And there was something about his confidence and his outfit that made me really believe him.

Yesterday I cleaned out my refrigerator. I don't mean that I threw away some old take out containers people. I mean that I took everything out of it. I took the shelves out of it. I scrubbed the inside. I scrubbed the shelves. I threw out a bunch of old food and condiments and then I put everything back in. I even scrubbed the outside, taking down all of the photos, reorganizing them and getting rid of old stuff that was stuck up there. I even scrubbed the top, which had about 3 inches of grime on it. The fucking fridge is fucking CLEAN. I talked to my cousin last night (the one pregnant with twins) and when I told her how I had cleaned the fridge she was like, "Oh that's so funny because I just talked to Mischa and that's exactly what she did today." Mischa is my cousin's sister-in-law. She's pregnant with her first baby and she's due a few days before me. My cousin was like, "I'll bet you both go into labor really soon now." And I really felt like this would be true.

So which is it?

I'm packing my suitcase for the hospital today. My cousin told me not to do it because it will make the baby come later.

Anyone that has read this blog for very long will know that I have issues with waiting and uncertainty but I'm doing ok with it for now. I'm loads better since I had my last day of work on Friday. YAY!!! Mentally and physically it has helped me so much. Now I'm moving on to my "one thing a day" philosophy. Yesterday the one thing was the refrigerator, which was a really big thing. Does posting on my blog count as a thing?

I actually need to get off of here because sitting at a desk makes my feet swell like crazy and it's going to be really hot and humid here today.

I'll keep you posted!

6 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Blogger Eve said...

Soexcitingsoexcitingsoexciting!!!!

I can't wait to hear what you name him!

xo

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Tina Rowley said...

I can't stop thinking about you, beauty girl. It's so exciting I can't take it. I'm dying over here.

Saks oracle! Hmmm. August 2nd. Elizabeth is getting married next year on August 2nd. (!) (Had you heard?) But I don't think that's what the Saks oracle was divining. I love that that happened, though. If he's right, you have a handy new psychic. If he's wrong, you should take Dup Junior in there and rub his nose in it like a weirdo. July 28th, asshole! Look at him! Here he is! Cap! Roast! FACE!

Oh, Dup Junior, we are so excited to meet you. My chest is just squeezing at the thought of your wee awesomeness.

And I love you, mama! I'm so proud of you already! I wish I could be there with you. You are going to do so great, I know it. You are such an ass-kicker.

I am going berserk over here.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger bladio said...

Go Hil GO!!! We are thinking of you a LOT over here!!!

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger YogaLia said...

I can't wait! You might be doing alright but I am checking your blog like my dad checks his watch. And that means A LOT. Though, of course, I'm assuming I'll know before you post your birth on your blog but I want to KEEP TABS.

ARLKSJLKSJLKHGLJKFGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

(that's me all excited)

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Reb and Heidi said...

Oooooooooooooh the Sak's Oracle. That has a nice ring. The refrigerator, though, that seems portentous as well. I don't know. I hope the refrigerator is right because I really want to meet your little man as soon as possible. That's what the Russian moms say, "My little man." Moy Malkenki Muzhik. So exciting.

Little Man! Little Man!

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Tina Rowley said...

Wait - how will we know you're labor? Is there a phone tree?! Will Dup send word to the world wide web?!

People got to KNOW.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home