la Ketch

my life story

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Baby Update.

It’s been a while since I’ve talked about the pregnancy so I thought I’d update you a bit. Things are still going really good. I have the worst acne ever still and some hip/lower back pain but other than that, awesome. I can feel this little dude more than ever now. It seems like he’s constantly moving. More than once, he has kicked me so hard that it woke me up! It doesn’t hurt but it’s the strangest sensation ever. Most of the time he feels like a little fish. We went to our Dr. Appt. last week and the midwife was able to tell me his position. His head was up towards my ribs and his butt was down below my belly button. This was a little disappointing because I was hoping he would just put his head down there and keep it there by now but there’s still plenty of time and he’s turning all around still. She taught me how to feel for his head, which is harder and a little flat and I could feel that his head was down low the next night. I figure, let him spin around while there’s still room to do it.

I’m going to be 30 weeks on Wednesday. 3/4ths of the way. That’s a milestone for sure. The other thing is that IF he was born now, he would have a good chance at survival. Of course we DO NOT WANT THAT as he would have hordes of complications with breathing especially and ... well I don’t need to get into why we wouldn’t want it – it’s obvious. I’m just saying that it’s comforting to know that he could live.

My Doula, who I see about once a week, is really into visualization. We do different exercises but one of my favorites it when we tell Dup Jr. about his birthday. We go through the whole birth and tell him what it is going to be like and what position he should be in to make it easier for us, etc. She likes to be as specific as possible and so she asked me to give him an arrival window. We’ve told him that he can arrive anytime between July 10th and July 26th (his due date). I’m concerned about him being late because if he’s more than 7 days late, I can’t give birth in the birthing center (I have to go up to the regular hospital which is fine but I would really rather be in the birthing center where the rooms are bigger and there is a hot tub and the nurses don’t try and talk you into and epidural) and if I’m more than 10 days late, my Dr. will induce me with Pitocin. I really don’t want that because it makes the contractions really strong and often times unbearable and you end up begging for an epidural. So this is the window we’ve given him. Will he listen? Does he have knowledge of our calendar systems here on planet earth? Stay tuned to find out!

In other news, my cousin, who is my best friend and lives in California, has two awesome little boys that are 4 and 7. She and her husband had an “oops” moment earlier this year when they discovered, not too long after I did, that they were preggo with #3. They were a little shocked (even though, yes, they know how these things happen) but in the end very excited to have one more little guy in their family. My cousin and I are especially excited to have little guys that are so close in age and we hope they will be as close as we are. WELL GUESS WHAT?! She and her husband found out last night that they are having twins. Oh my god people. Not only are they having twins but they are having TWIN BOYS. Two little boys in there. What are the freaking chances? It’s insane. I’m having a boy. She has two boys already. Her brother has two boys. My sister has a boy and a girl. She has the only girl. We have boys coming out of our freaking ears here. It’s like a penis brigade. A testosterone extravaganza. I mean really people, can you even imagine what her bathroom is going to look like? Those little guys just pee on everything.

Last night I dreamed that Eve sent me a letter with a photo of what she looked like when she was 30 weeks pregnant so that I could compare it to what I looked like. It seemed that I had requested this letter. It was written on lavender stationery. Eve, if you’re reading this, what advice do you have for my cousin? I’m sure that she would appreciate any you could give her. Although you must be thanking your lucky chucky stars right now that you only have 3 little ones and they are girls. Maybe you shouldn’t give her advice after all....

The good news is that my cousin is really, really strong. I mean REALLY strong. Also, she’s a fantastic mother and she loves being a mother. Honestly, if anyone is up for this challenge it is her. Both her and her husband will be so awesome with this new family. They will. Also, they have both sets of grandparents living very near by and they are very involved and supportive and helpful. So they will be fine. It’s going to be so much fun. To quote Eve, “TWINS ARE AWESOME!” And of course they ARE awesome. I mean there is something very cool and special about twins. We’ve never had a set in our immediate family (my cousin has them on the other side which is why it was genetically possible for her to have them). I predict that these twins are going to be a very popular addition to our family indeed. I imagine that they will be similar to the Weasley Twins in Harry Potter. Also, I’m so excited that Dup Jr. is now going to have TWO little buddies to pal around with. Thank god he’ll have a couple of months on them or they would pulverize him. Apparently the ultra sound technician informed my cousin and her husband that they were head butting each other in the womb. Oh my.

Alright babies. It’s babies, babies, babies all the time this year. A shout out to Jesse and James, Zoe and Yehuda, Ari and Brent, Brian and Heather for giving birth to their little adorable guys in the last two months. Now, I believe that I’m next. Whoa Nellie. Here we go. Life as I know it, they say, is about to change. Well, bring it on. Bring it on.

5 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Blogger Reb and Heidi said...

Great post - so exciting! Happy Mother's Day!

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger YogaLia said...

I was just thinking of you the other day and I believe I even said to Paul as we were walking along, "Hilary must be SUPER pregnant right now!" I want photos! I want pregnant belly photos on the web! And oh my god please let me hold Dup Jr. soon after he is born, as babies make me go all melty inside.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Tina Rowley said...

Oh, lord, this is so exciting. I love your doula. But not as much as I love YOU! Mama Hilary. Papa Dup.

Hi, Dup Jr.! We're so happy you're here! (When you're out, you'll have to come and play with Finn.) In the meanwhile, have fun spinning while the spinning's good, but end up where your mama guides you! She totally knows the score!

I send you guys big kisses.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Eve said...

That is so exciting! Penis brigade, hee hee! We should all get together for a brady bunchesque party!

I'm sure your cousin will do great- she probably already knows as much about parenting as I ever will. And I hesitate to give advice, because she will probably be getting more than she ever wanted. but you can tell her that I said TWINS ARE AWESOME! That should be extremely helpful. :)

Seriously though, she can always email me with questions, or to chat. There are also lots of twin chat boards out there, like Twinstuff.com with lots of good info and support.

Glad you're feeling good - the countdown is on!

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger kww said...

boys, so good.
Sweet sons, make a mama's heart beat...
Simon, 5 bounces and snuggles, and kisses, and scratches my back and even though papa is king he lves me for sure!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home