la Ketch

my life story

Thursday, February 16, 2006

final countdown


Finally. It’s only fourteen days until we go HERE. The Unbearably Light Jason Grote recently returned from HERE where he was Christianized against his will. St. Croix is in the US Virgin Islands where St. John is, where we’re going. When I saw his photos, I was so jealous because our trip seemed far, far away. Now it’s only 2 wittle baby weeks to go. That’s nothing.

It’s going to be here very soon and then it will be gone and then I will be right back here posting photos, obsessing on my next trip, which is far, far away. Hopefully, I will be tanner and happier but I know I will be focused on the future which is where I spend most of my time.

It’s not so bad. It’s better, in my opinion, than living in the past, which I rarely do. How can I live in the moment when I'm sitting at me desk bored out of my mind is not the question. The question is, how can I live in the moment when I’m actually there, in this place I've been visiting from my desk to escape boredom of sitting there? It works really well. I book trips, research them, think about them, buy clothes for them and then... will you look at that? I'ts five o'clock already. But what about when I'm actually sitting on the beach, swimming in the warm water, looking at the crazy fishes then... oh will you look at that, it's time to go back already. I truly wonder if I get more joy from anticipating things than I do from the actual experience. If you don’t practice living in the moment all of the time then it becomes difficult to be there at specified times, when the moment is particularly wonderful because you are in the habit of being somewhere else.

I, like a lot of people, spend a lot of time wishing my life away. Just gotta make it to five o’clock. Just gotta make it to Friday. I get really good at speeding it things up, moving it along. Time goes slow when you are miserable and fast when you are having a good time. Everyone knows that. And so the question remains, how can you slow time down while you are having a good time?

Tequila.

It’s really the only way.

9 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Blogger tdawg said...

awesome post.
you are so right about that! i can basically wish my work week away and then i'm right back to Monday and what have i done about getting out of this grind to begin with? the future, that fickle fickle mistress. less tequila in fact maybe the answer. but maybe we should drink some together before you guys leave!

 
At 3:07 AM, Blogger pete. said...

Read "The Power of Now."

Damn, I'm jealous!

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger la Ketch said...

T-Dawg. thanks and yes we should. give us a call. we're around.
Pete. i think that not only do i need to read it but i need to read it on the trip. on the motherfucking beach. rad. i'm going to get that damned book on my lunch break you better believe it.

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger momster said...

That place does not look real. It is too damn beautiful.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger la Ketch said...

Pete! I got the book. I talked to my friend Leah though and she reads like EVERY new age/self help book and so, of course, she was like, "oh yeah, i've read it." and i was like, "it great right?" and she was like, "well i do really, really like it but it also annoyed me on a certain level." and i was like, "what annoyed you." and she was like, "the word 'now' is over used. he uses it in every sentence.'" and so then we were like, "well i have to go NOW. I'm getting the book NOW. I'm hanging up NOW. It's happing NOW. This is it i'm hanging up. NOW! NOW I'M HANGING UP!" anyway, it was funny and i'm reading the book for sure. I'll let you know. Later. Give me a break! I haven't read it yet!!

 
At 2:58 AM, Blogger pete. said...

Ha! NOW!

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Jason Grote said...

It's gonna be awesome. Even the things about it that were bad for us - occasional rainstorms, a beach that was mostly reef and so unusable, staying overnight in San Juan airport and thinking it was still winter because of the air conditioning, getting so sunburned that we were seriously worried that Lorraine was going to be horribly scarred, like Batman's emeny Two-Face (she's fine now), spending money on stuff we turned out not to need, like a rental car - were still kind of okay. Because it's so awesome.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Eve said...

I am insanely drooling over your vacation! That looks unbelievably perfect! You lucky dog! Take lots of pictures please!

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Reb and Heidi said...

I'm insanely jealous too. Also, I hear you already hired a dogwalker and it's not me!

I'm teaming up with some disgruntled Polish girls to stage a protest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home